anti-Russian nicknames

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Nov 13 22:10:36 UTC 1995

In the course of writing a paper on Russian ethnic names, I came upon a few
expressions of Russian neighbors which they use in response to Russian
ethnic slurs. Thus, in response to "khokhol" the Ukrainians have "katsap"
and "moskal'," for "usatye" the Georgians have "rusili Van'ia" (literall, a
Russian Vania), to many anti-Semitic slurs the Russian Jews have "shikerim"
("drunkards") and "khozerim" ("pigs"). There must be similar
Azeri, etc. I am especially curious about ethnicities in the Central Asia: the
 Uzbeks, Turkomen, and others.
Maybe there are polyglotes among SEELANGS subscribers who are versed in
these (or other) non-Russian languages who can provide me with these ethnic
nicknames.

Please send examples to me at e-mail below.

Thanks for any effort in advance.

Emil A. Draitser,
Russian Division
Hunter College