recent Russian slang

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Nov 20 21:06:33 UTC 1995

Raeding a number of recently published dictionaries of contemporary
Russian slang, I came upon a few expressions who puzzle me despite the
fact that I'm a native speaker of the language and have travelled to
Russia a few times during last five years. Obviously, some cultural
contexts I miss. The meanings of the following expressions are given, but
what I'm struggling with is to understand what gave birth to them in the
first place:
        1) "v rubashechke s orlami" - is said about the New Russians, of
low culture. Where do these shirts come from? What kind of eagles are there?

        2) "kak mal'chik Iun' Su" - who is he? a Korean? What is the source
of his appearance in Russian mass culture?

        3) "svoboden kak fanera nad Parizhem" - I was told that it's from
an absurdist joke. What is the text of it?

        4) "banderlog" - a dictionary says--"same as CHURKA". Where the
word comes from? German? What does it mean in that language? the same?

I'd appreciate to enlighten me on this matter directly to my e-mail
address below.

Thank you all in advance.

Emil A. Draitser,
Hunter College of CUNY