recent Russian slang

jvt5350 at is2.nyu.edu jvt5350 at is2.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 21 17:55:47 UTC 1995

1) "Banderlogi" is not recent, I heard it at least in 1986-87. The word
comes from R. Kipling's "Maugli" (presumably, the cartoon based on
"Maugli"). It does not necessarily mean "churka", might be also an
expression of discontent or displeasure.
2) Never heard "v rubashechke s orlami". The only explanation that comes to
mind are those ugly "Montana shirts" - denim shirts, often "samopal'nye",
which stand (as Montana in general, see the Montana joke about a crow) or
rather used to stand for the American mass culture and were so inexplicably
popular in Russia.
3) I heard "svoboden , kak fanera nad Parizhem". It sounds like smth which
would be used by those who would define themselves as "hip," say, folks
from filfak MGU. I don't know if it comes from a joke.
Means approximately the same as "a my v Parizhe nuzhny kak v bane
passatizhi", i. e. free but and actually because nobody is interested in
you anyway.
Good luck with further research,
Julia Trubikhina,
jvt5350 at is2. nyu.edu