Information about Int'l Congress of Slavists

robert beard rbeard at bucknell.edu
Mon Nov 27 16:04:28 UTC 1995

I was about to simply apologize for having responded before I read the
latest AATSEEL newsletter.  I was responding to your note which seemed
to imply that PhD-granting departments were in some sense special.
However, seeing your last comment suggests that there may indeed be a
problem of misperception, that it is Slavic departments which might be
treated preferentially.  The fact that I teach in a Russian Program has
to do with my personal life-style and preferences and does not in any way
imply that my interests are restrained to Russian.  I have published a book
and many artciles on Serbo-Croatian and I'm sure that I'm not unique in
that respect.  By the way, Russian is a Slavic language, too.

I don't think this a serious problem, however, now that email and the
Newsletter is available, so long as our perceptions of what is going on
in the field do not impede our use of these new means of communication.
I assume your note was intended to assure me that this is not the case.
And for that I thank you, this time, sincerely.

--Bob

>Dear Prof. Beard:
>
>If you and your colleagues receive the AAASS newsletter and/or the
>AATSEEL newsletter, then you received complete information about the
>Congress at the same time as the chairs of Ph.D.-granting institutions.
>Part of the problem of communicating information about the Congress is in
>finding a central source (e.g., the chair of a Slavic department) to copy
>and distribute the letter, application forms, etc. to as many qualified
>Slavists as possible).  The ACS does not have the staff or the financial
>resources to send a notification to everyone on the AATSEEL or AAASS
>mailing list.  With e-mail now in full swing, however, this problem
>should be alleviated in the future, as I mentioned in my recent posting.
>
>It is important to note, by the way, that the International Congress of
>Slavists is devoted to consideration of Slavic (especially comparative)
>and not strictly Russian issues.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Michael Flier, Chairman
>American Committee of Slavists