recent Russian slang

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Nov 27 19:15:50 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGers:

I have posted recently a question about some recent Russian slang
expressions, and many subscribers asked me to post my findings. I have
solved three out of four mysteries:

        1. "v rubashechkakh s orlami" is a reference to American denim
shirts (also known as "Montana shirts" - I wonder why Montana?) of
American GIs. These shirts became a token wear of Russian young people
who want to signify their upbeatness and status in a group. It is
outdated in large metropolitan areas, but still in vogue in some provinces.

        2. "banderlogi" are disrepectful and unruly monkey in Kippling's
"Mowgli" story. The nickname is used in reference to southern ethnic
groups and to ill-mannered youngsters.

        3. "svoboden kak fanera nad Parizhem" comes from a series of student
absurdist "anekdoty." (I'd love to get a text of at least one of them!).

        4. NOBODY RESPONDED TO MY INQUIRY ABOUT AN EXPRESSION:
                "kak mal'chik Iun' Su"
        meaning working hard, slovenly, too much, "kak papa Karlo," "kak negr.0"
Although Elistratov's dictionary of Moscow argot insists that
the boy is Chinese, a Korean student in my Russian-language class
assures that "Iun' su" (Young Su - in English transliteration) has to
be a Korean. He could not explain where this image comes from, however.
Has there been a cartoon character under this name in Russian mass
culture in 1980s or 1990s? Or what?

        Thanks again to all respondents.

        Emil Draitser