interlinear word processing

David Powelstock d-powelstock at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:04:42 UTC 1995

Yikes!

My apologies to whomever might have been offended by my note reproduced
below.  This was a jocular comment meant to be forwarded to a colleague who,
I hoped, might be able to explain to me the technicalities in the preceding
message.  It was sent to the list by accident.  No offense was intended,
although I can understand why some might be taken.  (The reference is really
to my own ignorance, not anyone else's language skills.)  My sincerest
apologies for the screw-up.

David

>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 23:38:47
>To: "SEELangs: Slavic & E. European Languages & literatures list"
<SEELANGS at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>From: David Powelstock <d-powelstock at uchicago.edu>
>Subject: Re: interlinear word processing
>
>Hello,
>English?
>
>David
>
>At 10:29 AM 11/28/95 +0900, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>You don't need to be a unix guru to become a decent user of TeX.
>>All this depends on its implementation. There are several decent
>>products for your Macintosh, one of which is Texture, which is
>>perhaps the easiest TeX on earth (you get the final printout
>>almost simultaneously in other window.)
>>
>>And there are loads of LaTeX style files that enable you to
>>print bilingually, annotations outside the right/left margin,
>>etc. All you need to know is the conventions in your particular
>>style files: some are more intuitive than others.
>>
>>  Speaking in general, TeX commands are like dictation.  If you
>>are analytical enough to express your idea in unambiguous words
>>and have your secretary finish the job, you can do anything and very
>>quickly in TeX.  Learning TeX will be a sort of machine translation --
>>just looking up the corresponding words. And you will soon be
>>thinking in TeX terminology when you see beautifully composed pages.
>>
>>  But if you need to show yourself what to do, you'd better not use it.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ysuji
>>
>>P.S.
>>If you hate TeX, you could use PageMaker or similar things that
>>let you compose the page intuitively. Simple word processors do
>>not suit you.

*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *