Request for ethnic terms

Oscar E Swan swan+ at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:55:21 UTC 1995

Oscar E. Swan   Dept. of Slavic Languages & Literatures
1417 Cathedral of Learning   Univ. of Pittsburgh  15260
412-624-5707      swan+ at pitt.edu

> Tony Vitale asks:
> >There is a "linguistics" issue which readers of this discussion group
> >could probably help me with. I'm writing a dictionary and some papers
> >on the lexicalization of ethnic expressions. ...
> >
> >        1. The expression must be figurative and not literal, e.g.,
> >           China White 'heroin' is acceptable but China Sea is not.
> >
> >        2. The entry can be between one word and an entire sentence.
> >
> >        3. The entry must contain the name of (a) a country or continent
> >           (cities are not acceptable), (b) an ethnic group or (c) a language
> >
> >        Swedish, Make Oneself (Spa. Hacerse el Sueco) - 'be indifferent to
> >                something; see or hear something and then behave as if you
> >                hadn't.'

If I am not mistaken, a crescent-type wrench in Polish is called 'klucz
angielski' (english wrench); a special kind of Polish vise-grip wrench,
which bears down through twisting the handle, is called a 'klucz francuski'
(french wrench). these examples hsould be checked with a native-speaking
hardware expert.