Assessment of study abroad programs

Thomas R. Jr. Beyer beyer at midd-unix.middlebury.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:37:49 UTC 1995

It appears that there is considerable interest in this topic of
assessment.  The ACTFL oral proficiency interview is to my knowledge the
only "objective" standard for testing currently available.  The ETS
reading, lsitening and writing exams are no longer available as far as I
know, but I would be eager to hear otherwise.  The OPI has several
disadvantages: time and money.  They require approximately twenty minutes
per testee (if not more) and they are expensive-I believe it now costs
$70 for an exam that has been scored by two testers.
The alternative, however, to do the testing on your own has no validity
or comparability across programs or institutions.  It would be useful if
AATSEEL or individuals in the profession could obtain permission from ETS
to use the existing materials.