Department name

Jouko Lindstedt jslindst at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 20 16:23:34 UTC 1995

Dear Colleagues,

Here at Helsinki we have been discussing whether we should change the
name of our department (which is said to be the biggest of its kind
outside Slavic counries...). In English and Russian it is now

    Department of Slavonic Languages
    Otdelenie slavjanskix jazykov

The problem is, first, that also Baltic languages are taught here (and can
be chosen as a major subject) and, second, at least Russian literature is
equally important in our curriculum as the Russian language.

The alternative we have been considering is

    Department of Slavonic and Baltic Studies
    Otdelenie slavistiki i baltistiki

Please tell your opinion -- how does this (and our old name) sound to
your ear? And what is the official name of _your_ department? It's
perhaps better to answer directly to me, not to the entire list.

Thank you in advance!

Jouko Lindstedt
Department of Slavonic Languages, University of Helsinki
e-mail: Jouko.Lindstedt at Helsinki.Fi or jslindst at cc.helsinki.fi
http://www.helsinki.fi/~jslindst/

PS. A separate problem is Slavonic/Slavic; but since we prefer British
English, I assume we'll retain "Slavonic".