AATSEEL info on the Web

Gil Rappaport grapp at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 24 16:05:08 UTC 1995

I'd like to add a word of support for David Birnbaum's `Webbification' of
ATTSEEL information, in particular, of the program.

Not only is this inherently efficient (to have a constantly up-dated version
which others access as they wish), but, as George Fowler points out, it is
the ways things are going, whether one likes it or not. But one should like it.

If the computer people at one's home institution are not supportive, put
pressure on them (and their administration) to GET supportive: it is their
job. Tell the head of microcomputer services, instructional computing,
information management, or whatever, that you, a faculty member, need access
to this resource, as your field is relying on it. But it would be surprising
if they weren't helpful.

I am a recent convert to the Web. I went to a workshop that Louis Janus
organized in Minnesota in August, saw Netscape and the WEb for the first
time, was amazed by what was available in our part of the world, and saw
that it was an essential resource, that it should be part of our profession.
When I came back to Texas (Austin), I found out that the resources were
here, a software package was available for free, already `tuned' to our
local network. Within two weeks it was totally natural to use it. I use it
in teaching, but that is another step.

So check out your institution's resources first: they may already be doing
their job. If not, GET them to do their job.

Attaboy, Dave!

Gil Rappaport