boosting enrollments for fall '96

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 22 18:10:49 UTC 1996

As the weather gets warmer even in Wisconsin, our thoughts turn to
enrollments for Fall '96.  Many SEELANGers (or their colleagues) have kept
records of what jobs their students have found upon graduation from
college/university; unfortunately, at UW-Madison, we have had to put this
task on hold until next year when the University issues university-wide
guidelines on what information we need to collect from students before they
get their sheepskins.  I would appreciate hearing from any SEELANGers who
have collected this information as to the range of jobs found by students
with knowledge of Russian and/or other Slavic languages or languages of the
former Soviet Union in order to improve our publicity effort.  (Back in the
days of great enrollments, it seemed as though there were very few job
opportunities; now that we have so few students, there seem to be an
abundance of jobs in all kinds of fields.)  If I get a number of replies,
I'll post a summary to SEELANGS by May 1, hopefully in time for last minute
enrollment efforts this semester (for returning students) and well in
advance of enrollment efforts for students registering in the summer and
fall.

I would also be happy to create a list of jobs found by our students that
could be posted to the AATSEEL web page if there is interest in doing so.

Thanks for your help.

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI  53706
(608) 262-1623; fax (608) 265-2814
e-mail:  brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu