Our precious bandwith

Frank Joseph Miller fjm6 at columbia.edu
Sun Aug 25 21:50:37 UTC 1996

I agree 100% with Maria Carlson. It is certainly no waste of my time to
read job notices, and I am thankful that someone has the consideration to
forward them to us so that we who have graduate programs can forward them
to our graduate students as well as to our undergraduates. I, myself, do
not have the time to check various lists, and I have even less time to
read such frivolous arguments. As far as language enrollments are
concerned, I have found as a one-person Russian department in the past and
as the person presently in charge of multi-person Russian program that
good teaching by enthusiastic persons with a native or near-native command
of Russian is the basis for any healthy Russian language program.

Frank Miller, Chairman
Dept. of Slavic Languages
Columbia University