Our precious bandwith

keg at violet.berkeley.edu keg at violet.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 29 03:23:01 UTC 1996

Greetings, all.

I have been away from the modem for a while, and only just saw the jobs
thread -- and David Powelstock's post on the fact that only one objector
had posted has led me to respond.  (I must warn you that I am writing this
from a friend's computer, and using Pine for the first time, so please
excuse me if this is more garbled than usual.)

The first thing that comes to mind regarding David's comment is that thus
far, we have only seen the responses of those who responded to the list.
There may well be others who are against the postings (this issue has come
up before, as I recall), but who chose, for their own reasons, to respond
to Gary personally.  This was what happened with me when I posted
something a couple years ago that some found objectionable -- many people
replied to the list, but many responded directly to me.

Personally, I would not be sorry to see the job postings go.  It is
certainly true that those of us who choose not to read the job postings
can simply delete them (assuming we know how to do it given the specific
software...), but I agree with George that posting them to a different
site would be best.  While it's true that many of the jobs are relatively
global (in terms of Slavic), many are limited to the US.  SEELANGS has a
large number of subscribers abroad, and for many (if not most) of them,
the majority of job-related postings is utterly useless.

My intent is not to shriek at Devin -- he has taken a large burden upon
himself, and it is a useful endeavor.  I am just not sure that SEELANGS is
the best forum for the information.  I believe at one time, someone
suggested posting such job announcements all at once, weekly or so, so one
delete would kill the whole bunch instead of having to delete various
individual postings.

My $0.02.

Keith Goeringer
UC Berkeley