Son v ruku

Jack Blanshei russjb at timeshare.service.emory.edu
Thu Dec 5 17:03:53 UTC 1996

>Does anyone have a sense of the origin of the expression "Son v ruku"--and
>what an appropriate translation would be?  I have a student (emigre) who is
>doing a project in folklore survival-- she is interviewing people (mostly
>in Brighton B) and collecting superstitions, omens, dream interpretation,
>and the like.  A most curoious collection already.  I could ask her to post
>it to interested people.  Do you have any contributions?

Lubensky's book on idioms (pg. 648) cites several examples of this
expression.  The offered translation is "The dream comes true," or "my
(your) dream was prophetic."

Jack Blanshei
Department of Russian, Eurasian, and East Asian Languages and Cultures
Emory University
Atlanta, Ga. 30322
Tel. (404) 727-4014
Fax  (404) 727-2093