Bulgarian prosody

Loren A. BILLINGS billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de
Sat Dec 7 18:21:42 UTC 1996

Dear colleagues,

Would any of you know tests to determine which stressed word is the
prosodic host of the clitics (_s^am_, _mu_, _go_) in the following
examples?  That is, are these particles prosodic proclitics or prosodic
enclitics?  (I know that such elements need to be next to the verb
syntactically; I need their prosodic properties.)

a. BJAX mu go DAL
b. BIX mu go DAL
c. BE^se mu go DAla
d. ne BI mu go DAla
e. BIL s^am mu KAzal

[from Hauge's _Word order of predicate clitics in Bulgarian, Oslo, 1976,
pp. 38-39; stressed syllables indicated with ALL-CAPS, transliteration
modified/LAB]

What I'm looking for is phonetic evidence (akin to the three-level
vowel-reduction facts of Russian, for example).

Please reply to me (billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de) and I'll post a summary.

Thanks in advance,  --Loren Billings

Loren A. BILLINGS, Ph.D.  (e-mail:  billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de)

Institut fuer Slavistik                Home address:
Universitaet Leipzig
Augustusplatz 9                        Funkenburgstr. 14
D-04109 Leipzig                        D-04105 Leipzig

my office phone*: +49 (341) 211 8165   home phone:  +49 (341) 980 7227
dept. secretary:  +49 (341) 973 7450
dept. secretary:  +49 (341) 973 7454
dept. fax:        +49 (341) 973 7499

[* if this line is busy, try +49 (341) 211 8164, but let it ring 10 times!]