Help OSU Grad Students!

Erin E Diehm ediehm at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri Feb 2 19:57:16 UTC 1996

Dear SEELANGS--
     We sent this message approx. 2 days ago and are not sure that it went
through.  (We did receive confirmation that it was received, but no further
info. about its status.)  We apologize if this is a duplication but would
really appreciate it being posted.

Many thanks,
OSU Slavic Dept. Grad. Students

Dear Friends of Slavic,
     Please distribute and/or post the following letter as you
consider appropriate.  We need your help!!

Thanks for your help and support.
The Graduate Students of the Department of Slavic and East European Languages
and Literatures, The Ohio State University

Dear Colleagues,

As you may be aware, the Department of Slavic and East European Languages and
Literatures at The Ohio State University is being considered for elimination
or merger.  The department faculty have already circulated a letter requesting
your support and comments.  We, the graduate students, join the faculty in this
request and urge you to write or fax the parties reviewing our case
(addresses below) as soon as possible.  You may want to include specific or
concrete examples of ways in which our department benefits you, your students
as well as the academic and business communities.

Our department is unique in many ways and should remain an autonomous entity.
Following are some of our strengths:  1) the recent hiring of four new faculty
members adding to an already nationally recognized faculty; 2) in addition to
Russian, we have regular offerings of other Slavic languages and literatures;
3) a nationally acclaimed foreign language teacher training program; 4) diverse
resources and programs which complement and supplement the study of Slavic at
Ohio State (including the Center for Slavic and Eastern European Studies, the
Resource Center for Medieval Slavic Studies, and the Russian Folk Choir); 5) a
strong and active student body which organizes and implements numerous
activities for the Russian Language House, undergraduate Russian Club, and the
Dobro Slovo Honor Society; 6) regular participation of graduate students at
national conferences.

The Ad Hoc committee has requested that all supporting statements be
received by February 15; therefore, your expedient response is of utmost
importance.  If you have any questions,please call (614) 292-6733,
1-800-678-6139, fax (614) 688-3107 or e-mail
rcormani at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu.  Please forward a copy of your
correspondence to our department chair, Dr. Charles E. Gribble (address
below).

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
The Graduate Students of the Department of Slavic and East European Languages
and Literatures, The Ohio State University

Governor George V. Voinvovich
Attention: Andy Fatey
State House
77 South High Street