Russkij mat

Dr Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at yt.cache.waseda.ac.jp
Wed Feb 7 22:20:21 UTC 1996

Very interesting to know how "The Russian Language" was perceived by
a Gymnasistin, indeed. The English think "French disease" came from
the Continent, and the French think the other way round. I once heard
that all those swear words were Anglo-Saxon, which is a little funny
because "Jesus Christ" is a foregn word and the English are descendants
of Anglo-Saxons. Perhaps, Russians secretly think their true ancestors
are Tatars (I am not sure at all).
 Incidentally, the Japanese language has neither swear words nor
obscene words though a category of "taboo words" has been created quite
recently that refer to handicapped people. Japanese call the opponent
a fool or crap when they want to kick up a row, which is not because they are
decent but because they don't think it obscene to mention sex or god.
 My old teacher of English who was born and brought up in Australia
never believed this. Do you?

Cheers,

Tsuji