New: AATSEEL Web Page!

George Mitrevski mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Mon Feb 12 00:01:31 UTC 1996

We Need Volunteers!!!

The AAATSEEL page is a new and exciting endeavor for the AATSEEL
organization, and we would like to make it a place where you can always find
new and useful information for yourself and for your students. The AATSEEL
Web site is located at the University of Pittsburgh, and is maintained by me
 from
Auburn University. The URL is:

http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/

The amount of information available on the World Wide Web is growing by
leaps and bounds avery few months, and it would be impossible for one or two
individuals to keep track of all resources. Therefore, we are asking all
AATSEEL members to contribute in this endeavor in any way they can.

First and foremost, we need volunteers who will be in charge of maintaining
individual Web pages. The main AATSEEL page lists all of the current
categories (more may be added later). You can volunteer to maintain a page
on any subject that is of interest to you. As you can see, some of the
categories are quite broad, and more than one volunteer will be needed. In
such a case you may want to volunteer to maintain a page on a subcategory.
When you volunteer, your name and e-mail address will be placed at the
bottom of the page as the contact person for anyone wishing to contribute to
that page.

The ideal volunteer will know how to use e-mail, how to use a web browser,
knows basic HTML (at least is willing to learn basic HTML), is subscribed to
the SEELANGS list, is willing to solicit information related to the subject
category, and defines him/herself as a cybernerd.

These are some of the other responsibilities you will have:

   * Solicit and search for subject specific information and provide links
     to it.
   * Test links every once in a while to make sure they don't lead to a dead
     end.
   * Send out frequent "calls for contributions".
   * Delete outdated information
   * Advertise and register the page with national search engines
   * Write short reviews of resources for the AATSEEL Newsletter

If you are already maintaining a page on a particular subject, we can set up
your page and the one on the AATSEEL site to mirror each other.

We also need volunteers who will contribute resources to be placed on the
AATSEEL Web site. If you think you have anything that fits any of the
categories listed on the Web page, please send it to us. Of course, anything
you send will have to be in electronic format. Ideally, your file should be
HTML formatted. We'll take it even if it's not! To contribute a file, send a
note to the person in charge of the appropriate category. If there is no
volunteer for that category, send a note to me at the address below.

What will you get for your efforts as a volunteer?

   * A big THANK YOU from the AATSEEL membership.
   * Name recognition. Your name will be at the bottom of each Web page that
     you maintain.
   * Once a year a letter to your Department Chair and Dean thanking you for
     your efforts and making them aware of your contribution.
   * If you are seeking a teaching position, a letter of reference.

As of today, 12 February, the AATSEEL page has only two links. With your
 help and contributions we hope that very soon every subject category will
 become a live link. You can browse the page to see what subject categories
 we have covered, and you can let us know if we have missed any.

Thank you.
George Mitrevski
Dr. George Mitrevski                    office: 334-844-6376
Foreign Languages                          fax: 334-844-6378
6030 Haley Center                       e-mail: mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849-5204

List of my WWW pages: http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/index.html