7.222, Disc: Slovak Language Law & LSA statement (fwd)

Martin Gregor MPgregor at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 13:08:25 UTC 1996

>I do not wish ill of Slovakia.  I have even investigated this language,
>working (gratefully) with Martin Votruba of the Univ. of Pittsburgh.  I and
>my spouse have very fond memories of a Slovak bus driver who drove several
>kilometers out of his way to return travel documents which would be worth
>plenty if sold.  Suffice it to say that I do not take pleasure in writing
>this.  I do think that this negative information should be considered also.
>
>Sincerely,
>Loren Billings
>billings at mailer.fsu.edu

Hello,
Just a brief comment. I just had a chance to interprete for a Slovak
official, who works for the Culture Committee of the Slovak parliament. As he
explained it to me, their language law strives to accomplish the same what
the proponents of "English Only" here try to accomplish. It basically
requires that all official documents and official language be Slovak. That's
the explanation I got right from the source.
Martin Gregor
Slovak and Czech Translating/Interpreting Services
Maryland, USA

Home Page + MPGregor's
Czech and Slovak Yellow Pages:
http://home.aol.com/mpgregor