Slavic-OSU Update

Rosa-Maria Cormanick rcormani at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 14 22:58:09 UTC 1996

     SAVE Slavic - OSU             Update  14 February 1996

We extend our appreciation to all of you who have written to
President Gee, Governor Voinovich, Provost Sisson and/or Dean
Hall on our behalf.  We are impressed by the overwhelming show
of support from faculty, staff, students, alumni, business
leaders and friends from across the U.S. and abroad.

Many of you may soon receive or will learn about the form
letter from President Gee in which he responds as follows:
"...The university does not have plans to eliminate the program..."

Please let me clarify that we are NOT "a program", we are a
department with numerous programs and a degree(s) granting unit
of the university.   The reason for this clarification is that
we do not want you to think that we have already been "saved".
On the contrary our status is still very precarious.

We are presently undergoing not one, but TWO intense reviews that
are to be completed by the second week of April 1996.  The Ad Hoc
Committee will give its recommendation to the Dean of Humanities,
and depending on its findings, it may go to a vote of the faculty
of the College of Humanities in early May.

Thank you for your support of our department.  PLEASE KEEP THOSE
LETTERS COMING, THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT!
Rosa Maria Moreno Cormanick                  232 Dieter Cunz Hall
Academic Program Coordinator                 1841 Millikin Road
Slavic & East European Langs. & Lits         Columbus, Ohio   43210
The Ohio State University                    (614) 292-6733
                                             (614) 688-3107 fax
e-mail: rcormani at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   1(800) 678-6139