The Vocative Case in Ukrainian

Jeff Holdeman holdeman.2 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 15 12:53:55 UTC 1996

Upon reading the posting about the placement of the vocative in the order
of cases, I did a quick survey of the different Slavic sources I had in my
immediate reach.

SECOND

In Comrie and Corbett's _The Slavonic languages_, for languages that were
applicable, the adopted order was NVAGDIL (U, Cs, Cz, P, PSl, SC, US). The
only exception was OCS (written by Huntley from the Univ. of Toronto),
which had the vocative listed FIRST.

The Russian translation of Meillet's _Le slav commun_ has the order NVAGDLI.

FOURTH

Carlton (_Introducion to the phonological history of the Slavic languages_)
uses NGDVAIL.

FIFTH

In my Czech references written in the Czech Republic, the vocative is fifth
(and is referred to by the name "the fifth case").

SEVENTH

In a Serbo-Croatian textbook I have (by Monica Partridge in England), the
order given is NAGDIPV.

Schmalsteig ( _An introduction to Old Church Slavic_)  uses the order NGDAILV.

And, just for the record, all the Ancient Greek grammars I have use NGDAV,
which I guess we can say is "last" position.

Perhaps others on the list will add to these observations, and we will get
a picture of the general tendencies of how different countries or schools
of grammar treat this question.

Jeff Holdeman
The Ohio State University
holdeman.2 at osu.edu