The Vocative Case in Ukrainian

Ralph Cleminson RALPH at hum.port.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 16:10:01 UTC 1996

The NGDAVIL order was used by Smotryc'kyj in his grammar (Jev'je,
1619); it would seem to be the classical Greek NGDAV with the
Slavonic IL added onto it.  Smotryc'kyj was presumably sufficiently
influential for his practice to be adopted by subsequent authors, and
only in our own day have linguists begun to prefer other orders based
on coincidence of case-forms, or whatever.  It is interesting to
note, however, that Lavrentij Zizanij (Vilno, 1596) had used NGDIAV
He didn't recognise a locative, and presumably felt that there was a
certain affinity between D and I (perhaps because of the dual forms?)
to want them side by side. I'm not aware of any followers of this
order.

Ralph Cleminson, Reader in Slavonic Studies, University of Portsmouth
ralph at hum.port.ac.uk
http://www.hum.port.ac.uk/Users/ralph.cleminson/home.htm