folk singing program in Russia

Laura Olson olson at bucknell.edu
Thu Feb 15 23:09:32 UTC 1996

I am writing to tell you about a summer program in Russia for people who
are interested in learning more about Russian folk singing. The program,
which is being organized by the Moscow Conservatory, will focus on the
music of Riazan'skaia oblast', an area with interesting polyphonic singing
traditions that is not too far from Moscow. Participants will spend a week
in Moscow, listening to lectures and demonstrations and learning songs, and
then a week in Riazan' villages. Both parts of the program will be led by
an ethnomusicologist who teaches at Moscow Conservatory, Natalya Gilyarova.
She has long experience in the Riazan' area and also directs a folk chorus
of about 18 urban women and men (Conservatory students and non-students).
Housing in Moscow will be in homes of members of Moscow Conservatory Folk
Chorus. Housing in the villages will be in homes of village dwellers.
        Dates of the program are still somewhat flexible, but target dates
are last two weeks in July, or last week in July through first week in
August. The estimated price for this program is from $750 to $850,
depending on how many people we have sign up (getting 10 people would bring
it down to the lower price). Included in the price are food, housing,
transportation in Russia, outings and classes. This program is aimed at
people who already have some familiarity with East European folk music and
who sing or play instruments, but others may also attend. It is not
necessary to know Russian.

For more information, please e-mail me soon at: olson at bucknell.edu

Do *not* reply to SEELANGS because I won't see it.  I'm not subscribed.

--Laura J. Olson
Bucknell U.
Lewisburg, PA 17837