Loren A. Billings billings at mailer.fsu.edu
Sun Feb 18 22:26:05 UTC 1996

Thanks to Jerry Sabo and Louise Hammer for their quick responses.  Louse
confirms that _vnivoc^_ means 'come to naught'.  Jerry adds that
_nanivoc^_ is more common

I am interested in such forms (cf. Polish _wniwecz_ [< w + ni + we + cz
'into not into what(ACC)'] and _wniwczym_ [< w + ni + w + czym 'in not in
what(LOC)'] and Czech _vnivec^_ [< v + ni + ve + c^ 'into not into
what(ACC)'] and _vnivc^em_ [< v + ni + v + c^em 'in not in what(LOC)'])
because they show evidence of a repeated preposition:

     v + ni + vo + c^   'into not into what(ACC)'.

Jerry's example appears to involve doubling, but with different prepositions:

     na + ni + vo + c^  'ONto not INto what(ACC)'

Thank you both for the quick responses.  Others can write me for the
bibliographic details of where these are listed.  (You can also see this
written up in my forthcoming FASL-4 [Formal Approaches to Slavic
Linguistics] paper.)  Best,  --Loren Billings (billings at mailer.fsu.edu)