sad tidings

brian horowitz bhorowit at unlinfo.unl.edu
Thu Feb 29 06:57:39 UTC 1996

Feb. 28, 1996
Dear Slavic Community,

   I would like to eulogize Frank Whitfield. Frank was a dear friend
and his passing grieves us all.

   I would like to share a few memories about Frank. I arrived in
Berkeley in Spring 1994. My first class in graduate school was OCS.
Frank had his cards, and we were not Brian, Emily, Eric, but Mr.
Horowitz, Miss. Fowler and so on.  We were terrifically frightened.
And we had to parse and give the full information: gender, case,
number, and part of speech. God forbid one was not prepared!

    Frank also taught me French and German for reading. I used
bi-lingual editions of Sherlock Holmes.  What patience! And he taught
dozens of students. And we all passed and many went on to become
excellent speakers in those languages.

    Once I wrote a paper for another professor and mispelled a word on
the title page and I ran off into the depths of the Berkeley campus
and following on my tail was Frank at a clip on his club foot. Brian,
Brian, I heard his shouts. He had caught me around Bancroft Ave. He
was still a good runner at 70.

    In short, Frank inspired a generation of students. He had us over,
showed us his old editions, generously extended his hard candies. His
musky scent, reminiscent of careful pouring over texts, remains with
me, as does his welcoming face always prepared to laugh over a good
joke.

   I for one say good bye to a dear friend.

   From Brian Horowitz
   U. of Nebraska