Russian Scrabble Controversy

Robert Beard rbeard at bucknell.edu
Sun Jan 14 15:02:09 UTC 1996

My impression is that any grammatical form is acceptable; most Russians I've
played with allow this.  However, my friends in St. Petersburg feel that the
game is too easy with the rules so lax so they frequently impose their own
rules over those of Parker Brothers. I once played a game in St. Petersburg
where only adjectives were allowed and everyone complained that it still was
too easy; someone therefore proposed that the next time they play only
prepositions be allowed!  I think the Russian intellectuals may be
accustomed to self-imposed restrictions.
Robert Beard                              Bucknell University
Russian & Linguistics Programs            Lewisburg, PA 17837
rbeard at bucknell.edu                              717-524-1336
Russian Program   http://www.bucknell.edu/departments/russian
Morphology on Internet        http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard