Moldavians in Russian class

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Sat Jan 27 23:45:16 UTC 1996

Emily,

I did my student teaching of Russian in a high school with a large amount
of Russian-speaking emigres.  (I was scared to death going into it, by
the way!)  They had a seperate class within the class--did literature,
worked on their own, etc.  They had to take a language, and they were
allowed to take Russian, so this is how they were dealt with:
minimally.  Although I never had the chance--so I might be speaking a bit
naively--I would have liked to have integrated them into the whole
class.  I think it could have been done, if approached the right way.
Talk about great models for conversation!  I realize that native speakers
tend to intimidate non-native kids, but I think this could be overcome.
I think native-speaking students might be used as "assistants" who can
help other kids with their Russian.  Altho it could be awkward at first
and might take extra time with the teacher showing them how to assist, I
think it could be very beneficial to all.  I'll be interested to hear how
others respond.

Sincerely,

Devin

Devin P. Browne                                   Clairton Education Center
Foreign Language Teacher                                 501 Waddell Avenue
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu                                      Clairton, PA  15025
                                                             (412) 233-9200