Moldavians in Russian class

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Sun Jan 28 05:03:46 UTC 1996

I like the idea of presentations by the emigres, especially "Biff"
Baker's point that they find them difficult. Non-native speakers like
myself don't have a good feel for what those kids need. Some of us
discussed this at AATSEEL and I wrote up a proposal to be presented
to the executive board that AATSEEL sponsor or coordinate some kind
of materials preparation so we don't all have to reinvent the wheel.
I have some of these kids in an advanced conversation class and I will
indeed use them as resources, especially for comprehension, i.e. having
my students interview them on various subjects. I am somewhat
pessimistic about how they will fit into an advanced grammar class,
though. Actually, I was asking specifically about kids from Moldavia;
we've been having emigres from Russia/Ukraine for quite a while, but
Moldavia is something new. Emily Tall