What is "standard" in Russian

David Burrous burrous at teal.csn.net
Sun Jan 28 00:19:34 UTC 1996

Dear Seelangers:

I am working with a writing team made up of foreign language teachers in
the Jefferson County Public School System, to write the foreign language
content standards for our school district.  At this point we have five
"standards", one for listening, speaking, reading, writing, and culture.
Now, my question:  How does one say "standard" in Russian when referring to
a content standard like:  "Students communicate by speaking the target
language for a variety of purposes and audiences".
My dictionary lists a definition as _standard_.  Can I use that?  Or is
there some other more specialized way to say it?

Anyone answering this query will be treated to my recipe for "ukhvat".

A story follows:

15 years ago I have dinner at the house of Russian emigres.  At dinner, we
are each served a delightful "stew" in individual clay pota.  (The pots
were brought from Russia.)  I asked what "it" was called and she responded
"ukhvat".  During several trips to Russia I looked for those delightful
little pots.  I was unsuccessful.  Last summer I met a potter, in Colorado,
who told me that she could make me some little pots.  So, I contacted the
Russian emigre, with whom I had not spoken to for 15 years.  I asked if she
could give me the recipe for "ukhvat".  She said that she could draw one
for me!  I was confused.  It was at that point that she made me understand
that the "ukhvat" was the "fork" for taking the pots out of the oven, and
not the name of the stew or "zharkoye".    Well, I don't care, this stew
will always be "ukhvat" to me.  I share it with you forthwith:

Raw Beef (or chicken, or pork, or turkey)   cut into bite-size pieces.
Coat them with flour which has been seasoned with garlic salt and pepper.
(Place in a paper sack and shake to coat.)

Saute the meat quickly in a frying pan with a little oil.  Divide the meat
among the pots.

Chop one onion and saute it in a little oil.  Divide it among the pots.

Chop raw potatoes (1/2 per pot).  Divide it among the pots.

Slice raw carrots (1/2 per pot). Divide it among the pots.

Pour one cup of chicken bouillon into each pot.

Add a pinch of dill week, cilantro, parsley and a bay leaf to each pot.
(Do not break the bay leaf!)

Put the pots in a cold oven and bake at 375 degrees F. for one hour.  When
baked, take them out with your "ukhvat" fork (if you don't have one, do
what I did and ask your shop teacher to make you one)  and add a spoonful
of sour cream to each one.

Enjoy!

David E. Burrous                         * phone:       (303) 465-1144
Standley Lake Sr. High School | voice mail: (303) 982-3221
9300 West 104th Avenue          (  ) fax:           (303) 465-1403
Westminster, CO  80021,  USA   |  | e.mail:  burrous at csn.net
  -----------"Eh, l'vy! Nye Vy li vyli u Nyevy?!"------------