FW: Please read - VIRUSES !!!

Lonhyn Jasinskyj lonhyn at tiw.com
Mon Jan 29 16:51:35 UTC 1996

Yes, this Good Times virus is very dangerous. I have had three
CPUs burn-out because of it. At first I did not realize what was
happening and only after the third one did I realize that reading
my email (and in particular a piece of mail labelled "Looking
for a Good Time?") was the triggering event of my computer's demise.

I have to agree with the warning that claims that the CPU (computer
processing unit) is put into a tight, infinite loop. A Pentium
loops much faster than a 486 I would also imagine. I am sure of
this because the internal momentum carried by the spinning loop caused
my chip to remain hot for two or three weeks after I unplugged it and
removed it from my motherboard. I found that the 120mhZ Penitum
was considerably hotter unplugged than the original 90 mhZ that
I had in there. (I thought that a dead CPU was a good excuse to
upgrade to a faster chip).

I'm glad that at least in this country we have an agency like the
FCC. Had I caught their warning in time I could have saved myself
a lot of money. I envy the foresight of my civil servants, what will
happen if the government shuts down? Will viruses take over the
Internet? I can only conclude that they will.

I tried typing this message in all-caps but my caps-lock key seems
to be broken. Maybe burnt out by a virus? Has anyone else had this
problem?

Be careful out there!

Signed,
Worried in the Silicon Valley