What is "standard" in Russian

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Jan 28 21:32:37 UTC 1996

Um, I'm not sure I understand the original English, but if 'standard' here
is to mean some sort of mark or model against which something is to be
measured, perhaps the needed Russian word is _norma_ (like English 'norm,'
but with wider usage).

Hope that helps.

Best,
David

At 02:19 PM 1/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On 1/27 David Burrous asked:
>
>> How does one say "standard" in Russian when referring to
>>a content standard like:  "Students communicate by speaking the target
>>language for a variety of purposes and audiences".
>
>There is a concept in the nuclear industry called "Performance Objectives
>and Criteria," meaning what needs to be done and how to evaluate the extent
>to which the implementer met the goal(s). On that basis, might some native
>or nativoid pass judgment on the following:
>
>cel' obshchenija
>cel' rechevoj dejatel'nosti
>
>Michael K. Launer
>Department of Modern Languages & Linguistics
>The Florida State University
>Tallahassee, Florida USA 32306
>
>tel: 904-562-8671
>fax: 904-562-8717
>e-mail: mlauner at garnet.acns.fsu.edu

*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *