Russian possessive question

Valentina Zaitseva zaitseva at is.nyu.edu
Thu Mar 7 17:18:21 UTC 1996

>One question is whether this also is the formulation for _attestaty_
>originating in the RSFSR; if so, then Olga Yokoyama's distinctions are
>probably the best explanation.

>--Robert De Lossa

        According to Yokoyama, -approximately- reflexivization occurs when
the speaker "leaves" his/her own point of view (to identify with the
addressee or the subject of the sentence). My guess is :
Here we have as a subject a diploma, inanimate noun. It is too much trouble
for the speaker to "shift out" of his point of view for the sake of the
inanimate object, so - no reflexivization.
 -all the best -
Valentina Zaitseva.