Help with Dostoevskii translations into English

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Mar 15 18:58:48 UTC 1996

I don't know anything about the Kropotkina translation.  I do know that the
Garnett translation (as revised and edited by Ralph Matlaw for the Norton
Critical Edition) is quite serviceable and has some lovely essays in the
back.  The new translation (by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, North
Point Press, San Francisco, 1990) makes few substantial improvements.  In
places it reads a little better, in places a little worse.  It's hard to
understand why anyone bothered.  Of these two, I would recommend the Norton
edition, for the critical essays alone.

                Best, david

At 09:45 PM 3/14/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Would anyone out there be able to recommend a good translation of _The
>Brothers Karamazov_ into English.  I'm writing for a colleague who is
>off-list.  Kindly respond to me personally (billings at mailer.fsu.edu).
>Specifically, she'd like to know about the "revised translation" by
>Princess Alexandra Kropotkin [sic.] (Garden City, New York:  Literary
>Guild of America, 1949, 1953).  Thanks,  --Loren Billings

*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *