Ukraine

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at HUSC.BITNET
Sun Mar 24 13:05:29 UTC 1996

With regard to Keith and Max's post (I agree with Max that I
cannot imagine this being a long thread):

1. English usage has varied since the 18th century. Note that
the original English translation of Beauplan's 17th-c "Description
d'Ukranie" was "A Description of Ukraine" (no article, 18th-c, London).
Also, the French, obviously, lacked the article. Since
"Little Russia" often was used in English texts after that, I wonder if
there is consistent evidence for use of the article before this
century.

2. Yes, it was a political statement to use v Ukrajini/v Ukraine.
However, I have heard Russian- and Ukrainian-speaking Ukrainians use
it spontaneously, while others slip back to na or just use it as
their standard...There's the typical mix that you'd
expect.

3. Ukrainian provided a dilemma with the shift to v + loc. for
Ukrajina, because the motion counterpart then should have been *do Ukrajiny,
which no one seems to produce, using instead v Ukrajinu... theoretically a
Russism! I have queried a large number of native speakers on this, they almost
all are flustered to realize the contradiction, but feel that *do
Ukraijiny is unnaceptable. So that, clearly, the desinence is governing the use
of the preposition (and not vice-versa): since do Rosiji, do Pol'shchi,
etc. are acceptable, then it must be the form "Ukrajinu" (formerly of
"na Ukrajinu" fame) that is determining acceptability as the motion
phrase (instead of "do + gen." as in the other cases). So much for grammar.

4. In all the languages that I've dealt with, usage has been motivated by
ideals of political sensitivity and not government mandate. The only
quasi-governmental standard I'm aware of in the U.S. has been the NBGS
transliterations for Ukrainian cities, which are temporary and, so far,
ludicrous (Kyyiv for Kyiv/Kiev), etc. The Ukrainian government is just
now making diplomatic appeals to foreign governments and the UN to
standardize usage. I've spoken with the Ukrainian embassy about this and
they've been so-so helpful. I recommend going to an emigre newspaper like
The Ukrainian Weekly or Svoboda to get more info on current
political/diplomatic moves in the linguistic arena.

Vs'oho najkrashchoho!

Robert De Lossa
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617/496-8768
rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu