varia

Howard I. Aronson hia5 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Mar 25 22:04:42 UTC 1996

>Hi Howie, I hear through the grapevine (read Victor) that you are not happy
>that the Tense/Aspect/Mood conference is slow in either happening or in
>disbanding.  We applied for SHRC money and were turned down (what a
>surprise, they have turned me down for five years in a row, this year will
>round out the even half dozen), but we weren't that far out of the running.
>They funded people with something like 68 points and we had 64.  We
>decided then to revamp the proposal and submit it to a U of T in house
>grant - the Connaught.  We think we stand a reasonable chance at this since
>synergy (make me sick) is the key word these days and the fact that three
>diffeent depts. are involve dshould help.  Watch this space.  meanwhile, i
>just found out that I was turned down at the decanal level for promotion.
>I am trying not to wallow in my disappointment, and hope that this means I
>can refuse administrative duties - though I am saddled with grad.
>coordinating for two more years.  In any event, I wanted to thank you for
>all your support.  Cekay
>
>Christina E. Kramer
>Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
>University of Toronto
>21 Sussex Ave.
>Toronto, Ontario
>Canada  M5S 1A1

Hi,

In no way am I unhappy about the "slowness" of the conference. I confess I
would be unhappy where it to fall through, simply because I think it's a
great idea. What I commented on to Victor was that I was invited to give a
paper at the Prague Jakobson conference and turned it down because of the
Toronto conference, feeling, I said, that I could prepare good papers for
two conferences at once. But, in fact, as you well know, while I can
contemplate a trip to Toronto with the greatest of pleasure, a trip to
Prague seems to me to be about as much fun as a trip to the dentist. I just
don't like to travel. So, please believe me, no "unhappiness" on my part
whatever. And if the Toronto conference should fail to materialize, it
still served me in good stead, giving me a legitimate excuse for not going
to Prague.

Best,

Howie

Howard I. Aronson                              Office: 312-702-7734
Slavic Langs & Lits, Univ of Chicago           Home:   312-935-7535
1130 East 59th St                              Slavic: 312-702-8033
Chicago, IL 60637