Prices

Anna Rakityanskaya rakitya at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 28 09:16:17 UTC 1996

>On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, George Mitrevski wrote:
>
>> I have absolutely no idea what the current prices are. Does anyone know
>> of a way we can get a more current price list?
>
>I have a similar favor to ask - can anyone with recent/current experience
>with *Moscow-specific* prices give me a few pointers as to some prices
>for other daily-life items?
>- a "edinyj bilet"? (I hear the Petersburg price is 80,000 rubles, but
>     also that the rates are different in Moscow)
>- a typical taxi fare, say from the airport in?
>- a cup of [hot beverage] and a sandwich or soup at a cafe or bufet?

One of the sources of information of this kind are newspapers like
"Komsomol'skaia pravda". They often publish reports on current prices of
various daily-life items. Unfortunately, I do not remember the date or
issue, but in one of the February issues of "KP" they published an article
describing an experiment conducted by several journalists who tried to
survive a month on 300 000.00 rubles. Another article (I believe it was a
different newspaper) described in detail situation with ground
transportation fares in Moscow. I am sure articles like those two will keep
appearing in various newspapers.

Anna Rakityanskaya                         University of Texas
Bibliographer, Center for Post-Soviet      Austin, TX 78712
and East European Studies                  Phone: (512) 495-4188
PCL 2.300; S5453                           Internet: RAKITYA at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU