FASL V Program/Practical Information/Preregistration Form

George Fowler gfowler at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 27 22:54:34 UTC 1996

  5th Annual Workshop on Formal Approaches to Slavic Linguistics (FASL V)

                           Preliminary Program

                Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana
                             17-19 May 1996

Friday, 17 May

2:00          REGISTRATION opens

2:55          OPENING remarks

Session I

3:00-3:40     George Fowler, Indiana University
              "Toward a Rapprochement between Form and Intuition: Approaches
              to the Russian Double Nominative Construction"
3:40-4:20     Natasha Borovikova, Indiana University
              "Negated Adjunct Phrases are REALLY the Genitive of Negation"
4:20-5:00     Olga Babko-Malaya, Rutgers University
              "On Aspect and Case in Russian"

5:00-6:30     Dinner BREAK

6:30-7:30     Invited speaker: Catherine Rudin, Wayne State College
                               "AgrO and Bulgarian Pronominal Clitics"

8:00          RECEPTION

Saturday, 18 May

Session II

8:40-9:20     Roumyana Izvorski, University of Pennsylvania
              "Diachronic Changes in the Bulgarian Clitic System"
9:20-10:00    Elizabeth Laurencot, University of Connecticut
              "On Secondary Predication and Null Case"
10:00-10:40   Arthur Stepanov & Carol Georgopoulos, University of Utah
              "Structure Building and the Conceptual Interface: An Analysis
              of Russian 'Long Distance' WH Questions"

10-40-11:00   BREAK

Session III

11:00-11:40   Geraldine Legendre, Johns Hopkins University
              "Long Head Movement: Bulgarian vs. Romanian"
11:40-12:20   Adam Szczegielniak, Harvard University
              "A Minimalist Account of Polish Auxiliary Clitics and of Why
              there is No Long Head Movement in Slovak"
12:20-1:00    Svitlana Budzhak-Jones, University of Ottawa
              "WP Conditioning of Long Head Movement in Hutsul"

1:00-2:30     Lunch BREAK

2:30-3:30     Invited speaker: David Perlmutter, UC San Diego
                              "Explanation through Syntactic Representation"

3:30-4:30     POSTER SESSION (for alternate papers)

Session IV

4:30-5:10     Eva Bar-Shalom & William Snyder, University of Connecticut
              "Optional Infinitives in Child Russian and their Implications
              for the Pro-drop debate"
5:10-5:50     Irina Sekerina, CUNY Graduate Center
              "Syntactic Processing of Discontinuous Constituents in Russian"
5:50-6:30     Maaike Schoorlemmer, Utrecht University
              "The Affix-Clitic Distinction and Russian -sja"

6:00          Business MEETING

6:30          Dinner PARTY

Sunday, 19 May

Session V

9:00-9:40     Uwe Junghanns, Universitat Leipzig
              "On the So-called eto-cleft Construction"
9:40-10:20    Kai Alter, Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence
              "Russian Prosody: Phrasing and Tonal Structure"
10:20-11:00   Ronald Feldstein, Indiana University
              "On the Relations between Russian Desinences and Stress Patterns"

11:00-11:20   BREAK

Session VI

11:20-12:00   Sandra Stjepanoviec, University of Connecticut
              "Is Inherent Case Structural?"
12:00-12:40   Maria Babyonyshev, MIT
              "The Possessive Construction in Russian: A Crosslinguistic
              Perspective"
12:40-1:20    Zeljko Boskovic, University of Connecticut
              "On the Order of Fronted WH-Phrases in Serbo-Croatian"

1:20          CLOSING remarks

Alternate papers:

Maria Polinsky, USC
  "The Acquisition of Information Structure by a Monolingual Russian Child"
Sue Brown, Indiana University
  "Negative Concord in Russian"
Ljiljana Progovac, Wayne State University
  "Slavic and the Structure for Coordination"
Jennifer Dickinson, University of Michigan
  "Multiple Argument/Adjunct WH-word Coordination"
Robert Beard, Bucknell University
  "How Many Declensions?"

**We gratefully acknowledge our sponsors:**

**Indiana University: College of Arts and Sciences
                      Dean of Faculties
                      Research and the University Graduate School
                      Russian and East European Institute
**Wabash College
FASL5 CONFERENCE INFORMATION

1. Conference Registration

Pre-registration fee is $10 for students, $20 for all others. Due by 6 May 1996.

(On-site registration fees: $15/$25)

An additional $10 should be included if you wish to attend the dinner and
party on Saturday evening, which will be at a local restaurant. (On-site
cost: $14)

Checks should be made out to WABASH COLLEGE and, together with the
Preregistration Form enclosed below, sent to the following address:

Martina Lindseth
Wabash College
Dept. of Modern Languages
Crawfordsville, IN 47933

No cash please. Foreigners for whom it is a hardship to send payments in US
funds may preregister without payment, and will be charged the advance rate
at the conference.

Financial assistance (in the form of waiving of conference fee and/or
subsidizing of dormitory room accommodation) may be available in cases of
special need.

2. Accommodations in Crawfordsville

* single rooms in college dorms, 2 rooms sharing a bathroom; one minute
  from conference site. Price: $15.75 per night.

  For reservations contact Martina Lindseth at lindsetm at wabash.edu or
  call 1-317-361-6435.

  ***PLEASE NOTE*** You will greatly simplify our business affairs at the
  conference if you prepay the dorm room charges together with your
  registration fees! Dorm payments will be refundable if cancelled before
  the start of the conference. THANK YOU!

* A block of rooms has been reserved in the General Lew Wallace Inn
  motel (2 minutes from conference site; it's okay, but don't expect
  luxury). Price: single $28.50, double $32.50/night; for reservations
  call (317) 362 8400 before May 10th  (mention Wabash College-Slavic
  conference)

* A limited number of rooms has been reserved in the Holiday Inn
  (outdoor swimming pool, restaurant; 8  minutes by car from conference
  site; there won't be a shuttle so you do need a car);  price: $67; for
  reservations call  (317) 362 8700 before May 5th (mention Wabash
  College-Slavic conference)

* Other lodgings:

  Sugar Creek Bed & Breakfast:  (317) 362 4095  (walkable distance)
  Dollar Inn: (317) 362 3466  (need car)
  Super 8 Motel  (317) 364 9925  (need car)

Note:  Our conference coincides with qualification weekend of the Indy 500,
so it is a very good idea to reserve your rooms early.

For more information about Crawfordsville and the area call the Montgomery
County Visitors Bureau : M-F 8:30-4:30  1-800-866-3973.

For additional information about Wabash College, connect to their www page at:

http://www.wabash.edu/

Or you can follow the link from our own www page at:

http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~fasl5/

3. How to get to Wabash College

For those of you flying:

You should travel to INDIANAPOLIS. There will be a free shuttle from Indy
airport on Friday, May 17th, leaving around 1:30. We are hoping to be able
to arrange additional private pick-ups as well. You are requested to
contact Martina Lindseth with your specific travel needs
(lindsetm at wabash.edu). On Sunday there will be a shuttle back to Indy,
leaving Crawfordsville right after the conference. We will also make every
effort to make arrangements for others who need to get to the airport
earlier or later.  Conference participants are encouraged to send Martina
their arrival/departure times as soon as possible so we can start planning!

For those of you driving:

When approaching FROM THE EAST: Take I-74 West from Indianapolis (I-465) to
the SR 32 exit. Turn left and take SR 32 into Crawfordville. SR 32 becomes
Market St. and is the main East/West street. Stay in left lane and turn
left after the fourth set of traffic lights on Pike St. Wabash College is
four blocks south. Go right on Wabash.

When approaching FROM THE SOUTH: Take SR 231 north from Greencastle
(Cloverdale) exit of I-70. Crawfordsville is 35 minutes due north of
Greencastle. SR 231 becomes Washington Street in Crawfordsville. Turn left
at the fourth set of traffic lights on Wabash Ave. Wabash College is three
blocks west on Wabash Ave.

When approaching FROM THE WEST: Take I-74 east from Champaign/Urbana or
Danville for approximately an hour. Exit at SR 231 and turn right to enter
Crawfordsville. After crossing Sugar Creek SR 231 becomes Washington St.
Turn right at fourth set of traffic lights on Wabash Ave. Wabash College is
three blocks west on Wabash.

When approaching FROM THE NORTH: Take I-65 South from Chicago and exit at
SR 43 south for west Lafayette (SR 43 is continuation of Rt. 421 from
Michigan City.) Turn right (south) and follow Wabash River into Lafayette
until SR 43 ends. Turn left at light and cross the Wabash River. Take
second right and follow signs for SR 231 South to Crawfordsvillle. SR 231
becomes Washington St. after crossing Sugar Creek.  Turn right at fourth
traffic light on Wabash Ave. Wabash College is three blocks west on Wabash.

When APPROACHING INDIANPOLIS FROM I-69: Take I-465 west and get in left
lane for I-65 to Chicago after passing Michigan St. exit. Take I-65 to 3rd
Lebanon exit which is SR 32. Turn left and take SR32 into Crawfordsville.
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS LISTED ABOVE FOR APPROACHING FROM EAST.

4. Food

Continental breakfast: Will be provided at the conference site.  On Friday
night there is an after dinner reception (INCLUDED in the registration
fee). On Saturday night there is a dinner party (at an additional charge).

Lunch:  Several restaurants in walkable distance include Chinese, Mexican,
Italian and a New York style sandwich place. Otherwise, there are the usual
fast-food and pizza places.
Pre-registration Form (print out and mail in together with preregistration
                       fees; or simply email back if not sending money)

Name:

Institution:

Address:

Email:

Telephone:

Fax:

<OPTIONAL>: If you think you will want a ride to/from the Indianapolis
            airport, we can plan more easily if you provide the
            following information in advance:

Arrival Date and Time:

        Airline:

        City of origin (last leg):

Departure data (if departing from Indianapolis by air):

Departure Date and Time:

          Airline:

          Destination (first leg):

<OPTIONAL>: If interested in getting together with someone else driving
            from the same area, indicate your itinerary and whether you
            are offering or seeking a ride. No guarantees on this!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Formal Approaches to Slavic Linguistics V               fasl5 at indiana.edu
May 17-19, 1996                                      [tel] 1-812-855-2624
Steering Committee:                                  [fax] 1-812-855-2829
  Steven Franks                                        franks at indiana.edu
  Martina Lindseth                                    lindsetm at wabash.edu
  George Fowler                                       gfowler at indiana.edu

George Fowler                    [Email]  gfowler at indiana.edu
Dept. of Slavic Languages        [Home]   1-317-726-1482  **Try here first**
Ballantine 502                   [Dept]   1-812-855-9906/-2624/-2608
Indiana University               [Office] 1-812-855-2829
Bloomington, IN  47405  USA      [Fax]    1-812-855-2107