For George Adassovsky on Eudora

Andrey Ustinov austinov at leland.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 27 21:20:54 UTC 1996

Sorry for the intrusion. This message is for George Adassovsky from Tahit=
i,
whose mail account does not accept any messages, if sent in person. Pleas=
e,
disregard, if you are not using Eudora "dlia emelek".

No, you do not need to buy Eudora Pro. If you have all the necessary
components installed, it works like a bliss. You need to have the
following:
- Eudora Tables for KOI-8
- Eudora Table Helper
- Russian Script for System 7.0
- Apple Cyrillic fonts with any keyboard resourse for your taste
You can type your letters in any keyboard with a font of the Standard App=
le
encoding, and then Eudora will automatically convert them into KOI-8 and
mail your letters in the MIME format. The recipient will be able to read
your letters, if he has KOI-8 on his system. Similarly, if your recipient
responds to you in Cyrillic, Eudora converts this text into KOI-8, and wh=
en
you receive the letter, it automatically decodes it into your encoding.
This does not depend on the platform at all.
I do not even use KOI-8 fonts, since the ones available are rather ugly,
but use Apple's Bastion and Latinskij. I correspond with my friends and
colleagues in Russia who use everything but the Mac, and we do not have a=
ny
problems in our communication.
=E5=D3=CC=C9 =F7=D9 =CD=CF=D6=C5=D4=C5 =D0=D2=CF=DE=C9=D4=C1=D4=D8 =DC=D4=
=CF=D4 =D4=C5=CB=D3=D4 =D7 =CB=C9=D2=C9=CC=CC=C9=C3=C5, =DA=CE=C1=DE=C9=D4=
, =D5 =F7=C1=D3 =D7=D3=C5
=D5=D3=D4=C1=CE=CF=D7=CC=C5=CE=CF, =CE=CF, =D3=CB=CF=D2=C5=CA =D7=D3=C5=C7=
=CF, =CE=C5 =D7=CB=CC=C0=DE=C5=CE=C1 =CB=CF=C4=C9=D2=CF=D7=CB=C1 ?=E0=C4=CF=
=D2=D9?.

Please, check your settings and make sure that the default encoding for t=
he
Transliteration is "Russian Mac -> KOI-8", when you send the letters, and
vice versa "KOI-8 -> Russian Mac", when you receive them.

Best regards,
Andrei Ustinov.