Translation of _verxovnyj sovet_ into English

Loren A. Billings billings at mailer.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 29 06:33:31 UTC 1996

Esteemed colleagues:

In a Russian-to-English translation class my students and I have
encountered the body _Verxovnyj Sovet Rossijskoj Federacii_.  Clearly the
entity is the post-Soviet-era entity.  How is _sovet_ best translated?

I know that this word meant 'council' (and 'counsel/consensus') even
before the Soviet era.  In my opinion, glossing this body as the 'Supreme
Sov(i)et' might cause readers who are not professionals in the field to
think that this is some Communist body.  I prefer 'Supreme Council'.  I'm
sure that experts in translation have weighed in on this to date.  If so,
kindly let me know what their informed _sovet_ is.

Kindly respond to me (billings at mailer.fsu.edu).  I'll summarize if need be.

--Loren Billings