what to do about plagiarism by emigres

Robert Hunter rhunter at eckert.acadcomp.monroecc.edu
Tue May 7 14:53:54 UTC 1996

        After retiring from public school teaching in the US I taught in Russia
for a year and then established a year-long high school program for students
from the cities of Novgorod, Borovichi, and Staraya Russa to come to upstate
New York.  While teaching in Novgorod (high school and university), I was
appalled at the extent of all kinds of cheating.  Openly sharing answers,
shpargalki, and plagiarism were the norm --- except during the oral part of
final examinations.  To expect Russian students to come with an understanding
and willingness to abide by the American norms regarding academic honesty is, I
believe, naive.  One of the major issues covered in the orientation of the
Russian students coming to the US to study is the very different approach to
and standards regarding cheating/plagiarism.  Going over the meaning and
implications of cheating/plagiarism at the beginning of the semester is, I
contend, insufficient.  I believe the Russian students should be given a chance
, i.e., when caught cheating/plagiarizing, repeating the explanation, and
permitting the student to redo the work according to US academic standards.
        In explaining the meaning and implication of cheating/plagiarism in US
academic institutions, I believe it is important to emphasize how this fits
into the larger cultural picture.  This is important because the Russian
understanding of and respect for rules and law is different from the American.
In Russia, rules and laws and impediments meant to be circumvented one way or
another.  Here is a recent example.  A Russian businessman was learning about
Rotary.  At a Rotary meeting in the US, he said that he had only one question
regarding the possibility of organizing a club in Russia --- how important was
adherence to rules?  He then commented that, for cultural reasons, it would
be very difficult for future Russian Rotarians not to attempt to circumvent the
rules.
        I believe we owe Russian students, be they exchange or emigre, care and
consideration in learning our culture.  After having been given fair
explanation and warning, rigid adherence to standards should be the norm.
        Dobro,
        Robert Hunter

  Robert Hunter, M.Ed, M.A.               8 Red Fox Run
  Psychology Department                   Pittsford, NY 14534-3428
  Monroe Community College                Voice: (716) 248-5075
  Rochester, New York                     Fax: (716) 383-8723
                     rhunter at eckert.acadcomp.monroecc.edu