suggestion for Vision 2020 - Dec. '96

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed May 29 16:16:14 UTC 1996

I'm wondering if the profession might benefit from a panel dedicated to
strategies and solutions that are working at the 2020 panel in Washington
this year.  We could ask colleagues who have had some successes in
increasing enrollments in Slavic languages and/or literature courses on the
secondary and post-secondary levels in order to hear what they did, how
they did it, etc., in order to try implementing similar strategies in our
own institutions.  I think that some solution-oriented presentations might
be more productive for us than more diagnosis of the problems or reflection
on the issues the problems have raised for the profession.

Who is organizing the Vision 2020 panel this year?

I'd appreciate a discussion of this idea on the list or, if people want to
respond directly to me, I could post a summary to the list.

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI  53706
(608) 262-1623; fax (608) 265-2814
e-mail:  brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu