language query

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 3 22:48:23 UTC 1996

A Russian from Kirov, educated at the Univ. of Lviv with a degree in
Russian, tried to tell me that saying "ia govoriu na russkom iazyke" is
just as good as "ia govoriu po-russki" (and the same with "chitat'").
My 2 MGU native informants told me she is wrong. Could she have been
contaminated by Ukrainian, or perhaps the provinces? I am trying to
figure out how she could be using incorrect Russian. Is it some
kind of substandard variant? Thanks! Emily Tall