language query

Alexandra Sosnowski asosnow at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Oct 4 05:35:31 UTC 1996

Emily's question about the correctness of "ia govoriu na russkom iazyke"
reminded me of my late father who always encouraged me to use precisely this
form rather than "ia govoriu po-russki".  His argument was - "Sachen'ka, a kak
by ty sprosila?"  Obviously "Na kakom iazyke vy govorite" and not "Kak vy
govorite?"  Stories apart, as far as I know both forms are grammatically
correct, only one is used more frequently than the other.

Alexandra Sosnowski
Dept. of German and Slavic Studies
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Canada