language query

Stephen Bobick bobick at olympus.darwin.com
Fri Oct 4 05:37:21 UTC 1996

  Eloise napysala:
  >I have to second Emily's request and Genevra's exhortation to keep emotions
  >out of this; let's not allow yet another innocent query to turn into a
  >flaming match.

I disagree.  This is not the time to sweep this "thing" under the rug.

I found the the first statement posted by Emily Tall to be questionable at
best.  I saw the same undercurrent of dismissive arrogance and disdain for
Ukraine and Ukrainian matters that I often see from Russian scholars, students
of Russian, and many others.  Am I overreacting?  Was Emily Tall's intent to
slander and insult?  Maybe: maybe not.  But that had yet to be determined, and
those who feel they were publicly insulted have a *right* to speak up and
ask for a clarification.  Moreover, those who are not affected by the comments
directly, but interpret them as insults nevertheless, have a moral
responsibility to respond as well.  After all, you/your group/gender/
nationality/sexual orientation could be next.

In my opinion Michael Burianyk posted a very measured, polite, rational
response.  To my utter amazement he was replied to by Genevra Gerhardt with
a post that included a comment which seemed to infer that Michael considers
"his own to be godsent"*, something "the world has seen enough of"*.  Where
did this come from?  Was this the author's intent?  If so, how arrogant and
presumptuous!  If not, what was the point of making this comment at all?
I read the post again and again, and cannot see any point other than to
imply that Michael is some kind of ethno-centric zealot.  He's making a
mountain out of the proverbial mole-hill.  And I disagree with this
characterization (which I feel was implied). I have found Michael to be
nothing of the sort in my dealings with him in cyber-space.

The follow-up letter, which I have included above in-toto, chimes in against
one person's (Michael's) reasoned response, and cries "flame war".  Where is
the flame war?  I only see this as an attempt to silence someone with a valid
gripe: a request for an explanation of some questionable statements.

I'd suggest that the best way to avoid such problems, such unpleasantries,
in the future is to avoid using terms like "contaminated by language/people
X, or their provinces".  Be a little more sensitive.  And if you offend, have
the courtesy to acknowledge the miffed party and apologize, rather than
pooh-pooh his objections as overreaction to an "innocent" comment.

-- Stephen Bobick

* these are paraphrased, not direct quotes (I deleted the original)