language query

dianna horne dlhorne at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sat Oct 5 02:24:14 UTC 1996

Emily Tall wrote:

>>From a
>pedagogical point of view, one does not teach every possible variant of
>something to students in their first month of Russian. One teaches the
>usual possibilities. That seems obvious to me! As for the word "substandard"
>or "nonstandard," how, then, does one name what Russians call "prostorechie"
>? I know the word "popular" is sometimes used. What about people who say
>"oni khodiut"? Isn't that substandard - or nonstandard? And shouldn't our
>students know that it is? Emily Tall

This thread reminds of being a beginning Russian student in a class which
continually pestered the teacher to teach us slang (at the time, we were
apparently more interested in being able to swear effectively than in
learning how to form grammatically correct sentences), and being told that
we were being taught to speak Russian "as educated Russians speak," and
that if we didn't understand the 'standard', then we wouldn't be able to
understand what was 'non-standard'.

This isn't directly related to the thread, although the general question of
prescribed linguistic norms vs. actual language usage is.  While we
linguists (and others) might find issues of how language reflects (and is
indeed a primary means of marking) membership in all types of social groups
such as socio-economic class and/or ethnic or geographic group (the 'Moscow
norm' vs. others for example), what the student in a beginning foreign
language class really needs to learn is how to express him or herself most
appropriately in a given social/linguistic context.  This means that the
foreign language teacher consciously or unconsciously chooses to teach
variants of a language which s/he believes most accurately reflect the
current norms of usage of the target language/culture.  Questions of
'correctness' or of 'standard usage' in the context of language pedagogy
should be understood as attempts to understand what these norms are, not as
means of trying to determine what is a 'right' or 'wrong' way of speaking.

Dianna Murphy
Graduate Student, Slavic Linguistics
The Ohio State University