help: hyphenation rules.

Dr Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at yt.cache.waseda.ac.jp
Sun Oct 6 06:28:08 UTC 1996

Hello,
I have been having trouble with my publisher about the way how
Russian words should be split across lines.

The de facto state standard says:
    Pri nabore dolzhny byt' sobljudeny vse grammaticheskie pravila
    perenosov. Ne dopuskajutsja neblagozbuchnye i perenosy, iskazhaju-
    shchie smysl.
         -- Khudozestvennoe i tekhnicheskoe redaktirovanija ...

However, the details are not clear enough. G. Glazunova's Spravochnik
po orfografii i punktuacii (Riga, 1982) says in the first place:
    a) slovo perenositsja po sloram.

Well, then, what is the "slog"? This is what I would like to ask
you, the professional linguists.

A. V. Dudnikov in his 'Russkij Jazyk' (Moskva, 1983, page 27) enumerates
  pra-vo-na-ru-she-ni-e mle-ko-pi-ta-ju-shchi-e mi-ro-zda-ni-e be-re-za
  ban-ka Vol-ga ver-shi-na tum-ba poj-te shaj-ka
  vo-da pe-re-ska-zy-va-ju a-pte-ka la-psha po-chta i-zba pra-vda po-do-shva
  to-skli-vo by-stro
  lam-pa ka-kom-stvo ban-da kon-sti-tu-ci-ja pal'-to kor-zi-na chaj-ka
  boj-cy

If we look at how syllables ending with a hyphen, we find that the last
sounds are either vowels (including "j") or resonants (soft and hard
"l, m, n, r").

Well, then, why do some people think it right to say
    Pet-ro-grad te-at-ral'-nyj sek-re-tar' pub-li-chnyj bib-li-o-te-ka
    dis-cip-li-na fab-ri-ka lik-vi-da-ci-ja re-gist-ra-ci-ja
    a-lek-sandr ? (I often hear people say "Alek". Is that "Oleg" or
    "Alek" as in English?)

Some of these may be based on hyphenation rules of foreign language (
one of the absurdest ideas of Grot was exactly this. Who will
bother about whether Schwarzen-egger or Schwarze-negger when set in
the English language?), but it looks they think two consecutive consonants
are better split whatever they are. To which I seriously disagree.

I would like to hear your comments very much. Thank you.

With best wishes,
Tsuji

P.S.
M. Vulis once commented that only Ukrainians said "sest-ra". Taking
his word literally, I asked my proof-reader whether she was
Ukrainian and also asked my Ukrainian friends if they said "sest-ra"
in stead of "se-stra". They told me that Vulis used the word "Ukrainian" as
a pejorative, not meaning anything real.

P.S.
I am not talking about the division of word into etymological units
like prefixes, stems, suffixes, etc.