(Fwd) Continuation of the discussion: "prostorech'e"

Patricia A. Burak (OIS) paburak at summon.syr.edu
Tue Oct 8 04:42:06 UTC 1996

From:          Self <SUMMON2/PABURAK>
To:            SEELANGS at CUNYVM
Subject:       Continuation of the discussion: "prostorech'e"
Date:          Tue, 8 Oct 1996 09:17:58 +0500

Dear Colleagues:
I have enjoyed the recent postings/discussion concerning "popular" or
"substandard" language, especially as a Ukrainian-American (western
Ukrainian no less!). Very interesting contributions, overall, and
intellectually stimulating.

This morning, while preparing to teach my class on Pasternak and Solzhenitsyn
 (in English), I came across yet another iteration of the discussion which I
 felt
impelled to share with any interested colleagues! In a critical essay
entitled "Solzhenitsyn in English: An Evaluation", author Alexis
Klimoff writes: "To any reader of S's works in the original, the
writer's concern with language is as obvious as the moral and social
thrust of his narrative.  More consistently and more imaginatively
than any other contemporary Soviet writer, S. has attempted to eschew
the ubiquitous cliches that have long ago spilled over from the pages
of PRAVDA and IZVESTIIA and inundated Soviet writing. S's fiction
represents a conscious endeavor to offer an alternative.  For this
purpose he has mobilized the full resources of the Russian language;
especially bold use has been made of what the grammar books call
'popular' or 'substandard' speech (prostorech'e)." {as cited in
SOLZHENITSYN: A COLLECTION OF CRITICAL ESSAYS.
 Ed. Kathryn Feuer. Prentice-Hall, Inc. New Jersey, 1976, with
further citation of this essay footnoted on page 130}.

There you have it: even Solzhenitsyn (!) uses the much maligned
"substandard" speech  for literary integrity and impact!

Hope you enjoy this contribution to the discussion.
Patricia A. Burak, Director
Office of International Services
Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York 13244-2380