Alarm

Katarzyna Dziwirek dziwirek at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 10 05:09:15 UTC 1996

Sorry, Don't have time to read the newspaper with the new quarter and a
toddler who doesn't sleep at night... Did the article mention enrollments
for other Slavic langs? Here at UW, our 1st year Polish class has 18
students (plus one who just comes from time to time). It is the most
students we have had in Polish in the 3 years that I have been here. My
colleague teaching Czech reports a similar number of students in first
year Czech. I wonder if this is a pattern outside of Washington as well?
IF so, maybe the solution is not to convert anyone to Russian, but to hire
more teachers of other Slavic languages?
kat

Katarzyna Dziwirek
dziwirek at u.washington.edu
Department of Slavic Languages and Literature, box 353580
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
tel. (206) 543-7691