Advertising Slavic Languages (was Re: alarm)

Stephen Bobick bobick at olympus.darwin.com
Fri Oct 11 17:03:12 UTC 1996

  Andrew M. Drozd wrote:
  >  Although Stephen's suggestion is a great idea, it will probably be
  >very difficult to implement due to resistance from the powers that
  >be. The faculty here has tried for years to get some type of
  >handout/flier distributed to the incoming freshman as part of their
  >information packets. A blunt "no" has always been the answer. We are
  >usually given the excuse that if this is done for Russian then all
  >the other languages will insist on equal treatment. There have been
  >some attempts in the past to put up a united front for all
  >languages, but as is to be expected, French and Spanish, generally
  >got all the publicity and the benefit.

Perhaps the powers that be would at least permit your department to set up
a booth in a suitably visible location during orientation.  They certainly
permit certain student organizations to do this (at least at the schools I
have been to).  You could even have a big pot of borshch simmering away and
loads of piroshki to give out free as an extra incentive to draw students to
your booth.  :-)

-- Stephen Bobick