Language Study Shifts (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Mon Oct 14 14:45:08 UTC 1996

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 11:59:17 -0400
From: peter brown <brownp at matrix.newpaltz.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list FLTEACH <FLTEACH at UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Language Study Shifts (fwd)

The New York Times ran a major article last Thursday titled Language Study
Shifts Again: Chinese Is Up, Russian Down" (October 10).

The article presents extensive data with tables and graphs to chart the
development s in two- and four-year colleges around the U.S.

Citing a new study by the MLA, the article mentions the steep decine from
1990-1995 in enrollments in Russian (-45%), German (-28%), French (-25%), as
well as lesser declines in Italian, Latin and Japanese enrollments.

I thought the Times article missed the main story that these numbers are
telling us, namely that the scope of foreign language studies has become
dangerously narrow. My response, slated to appear in tomorrow's paper
(Oct.14), appears below.